Skip to content

Fix ‘Blank Window’ Problem in TweetDeck on KDE

If you’re running the excellent Twitter client TweetDeck on Linux, specifically with the KDE desktop (here version 4.1.1), you may run into a problem where when you start the program, the TweetDeck window is just blank. The buttons at the top and bottom appear, but there is nothing in the window.

To solve this problem, first launch the application KWalletManager by pressing Alt-F2 and typing in kwallet. It should be the first result, so press Enter to start the application.

KWalletManager launch

After KWalletManager is running, start TweetDeck again and you everything should work as normal.

Like this post?

If you would like to support the time and effort I have put into my tutorials and writing, please consider making a donation.

12 Comments

1. Oliver wrote:

Peter, I have KDE Wallet Manager open, and I’m still getting the blank TweetDeck problem. Adobe AIR has “Always Allow” access to the wallet, but doesn’t seem to be storing anything.

I’ve tried uninstalling/purging/reinstalling AIR and TweetDeck to no avail.

Do you think this means there’s a problem with the KDE Wallet system itself?

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 19:22 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.6 on Ubuntu Linux Ubuntu Linux
  2. Peter wrote:

Oliver,

I’m not entirely sure. Which version of KDE are you running? Are you using the default KDE wallet or have you got multiple, or any other more complex configuration?

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 19:58 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.6 on Mac OS X Mac OS X 10
  3. spacefem wrote:

this worked like a charm for me. all I was seeing was tooltips and non-functioning buttons and a big gray screen. thank you so much!

Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 04:28 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.4 on Ubuntu Linux Ubuntu Linux
  4. Kathryn wrote:

It wasn’t working with KDEWallet open, but I also didn’t have any wallets set up. Go into the KDEWallet manager preferences and turn on the option “Enable the KDE Wallet Subsystem”

Now it’s working fine.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 00:16 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5 on SuSE Linux SuSE Linux
  5. lomara wrote:

Thank you for posting this fix. I have been lamenting my own problem with TweetDeck on KDE. Now it’s working and I’m happy. Thank you!

Monday, April 13, 2009 at 20:54 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.8 on Windows Windows XP
  6. Noah wrote:

Sadly, this didn’t do the trick for me. I have kwallet open, and even made a new wallet because there wasn’t an existing one. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the tip, though! Also, thanks for DfontSplitter! I used it the other day; worked great!

Sunday, May 3, 2009 at 02:25 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.10 on Ubuntu Linux Ubuntu Linux
  7. Greg wrote:

Awesome, fixed it. Spent 2 days scouring the internet for the fix!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 18:44 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.10 on Fedora Linux Fedora Linux
  8. Robert wrote:

I’ve been looking for this fix for about a day now – I didn’t realize it was kwallet specific, thanks!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 21:25 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.10 on Ubuntu Linux Ubuntu Linux
  9. kenny wrote:

i have already open the kwallet, i create wallet then open the tweetdeck, and nothing happens. i have already enable subsystem too..

please advise.

thanks

Thursday, May 14, 2009 at 09:08 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on SuSE Linux SuSE Linux
  10. Sean Smith wrote:

I am also having issues getting Tweetdeck to work properly. KDE Wallet is running, enable the KDE Wallet subsystem is checked and a wallet was created for Adobe Air. Yet Tweetdeck is still showing a blank screen. Any ideas as to how to correct this.

I’m running opensuse 11.1 with KDE 3.5

Thanks

Sunday, June 21, 2009 at 03:39 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.11 on SuSE Linux SuSE Linux
  11. Sean Smith wrote:

I was finally able to get my install of TweetDeck to run on my 64 bit platform. I’m running Linux openSuse 11.1 KDE 3.5.

Turns out I had to install the kdelibs3-32bit libraries. Particularly libkwalletclient.so.1. After several days of searching for a solution I came across the solution at the very bottom of the following post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/23483

Once I installed the additional libraries, TweetDeck began to function beautifully!

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 04:27 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.11 on SuSE Linux SuSE Linux
  12. laura wrote:

Hiya my tweetdeck is opening but i’m just getting a blank screen nothink else i can login etc i have tried the first instruction on here and thats not even working anyone help me plz

Friday, July 17, 2009 at 12:58 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 3.0.11 on Windows Windows Vista

12 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2009/03/01/fix-blank-window-problem-in-tweetdeck-on-kde/ […]

2. […] simple: make sure kwallet is running with an open wallet. Full details in a nice concise post from Peter Upfold, here. One of his commenters mentioned an issue, but I believe it turned out to be a “no wallets […]