Skip to content

Un-hide the ‘http://’ in Firefox 7

The recent release of Firefox 7 has brought with it several changes. One of these, is that Firefox hides the ‘http://’ prefix in the URL bar by default.

For many people this is fine and probably a positive changes, but geeks like myself may wish to restore the prefix. (I found it especially annoying when I copied a URL from the bar and the text pasted did include the ‘http://’, when the text I copied did not! I don’t like that kind of inconsistency!)

To restore the prefix, browse to about:config. Accept the warning, then search for browser.urlbar.trimURLs. When you find the setting, double-click on it to toggle it to false. The changes should take effect immediately.

Screenshot showing about:config in Firefox, with the browser.urlbar.trimURLs key shown

That’s better!

Like this post?

If you would like to support the time and effort I have put into my tutorials and writing, please consider making a donation.

17 Comments

1. Martel wrote:

Thank you! It was driving me crazy as well.

Sunday, October 2, 2011 at 18:36 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows XP
  2. CDKR wrote:

Thanks!
    Another stupid decision by mozzarella

Monday, October 3, 2011 at 17:40 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows 7
  3. D wrote:

Thanks so much for this! This was always one of the things I liked least about Chrome, and I was disappointed to see FF follow in its footsteps. At least they provide a way to change it back though.

Monday, October 3, 2011 at 20:40 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0 on Windows Windows 7
  4. Thankyou wrote:

I uninstalled chrome because their evil upgrade agent, and the url functionality pissed me.

Now mozilla seems to be copying all those annoying traits, catering for the masses.

Soon they’ll open up an app store.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 04:54 | Permalink | Using Internet Explorer Internet Explorer 7.0 on Windows Windows Vista
  5. BeMore wrote:

Thank you. That was driving me mad.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 at 16:12 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows 7
  6. marlo wrote:

Thank You!

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 17:22 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows XP
  7. tha catcher wrote:

Friday, October 14, 2011 at 05:08 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows 7
  8. Mazzulatore wrote:

Thanks, posts like this let me solve problems in SECONDS.

Friday, October 14, 2011 at 09:25 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows 7
  9. Steve wrote:

Thanks so much!!! This saves me so much time!

Friday, October 14, 2011 at 14:50 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Mac OS X Mac OS X 10
  10. Evandro wrote:

Thanks!

That was supposed to be in the main options!

So incovenient. It is so no user friendly for nerds!

Sunday, October 16, 2011 at 11:45 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows XP
  11. Thanks wrote:

http:// should appear by default… Thanks a lot! 🙂

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 03:02 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Linux Linux
  12. mo wrote:

Thansk for the hint. Opera solved this problem much more user (non-nerd & nerd) friendly. They hide http// (and other stuff) by default, but when you click into the address bar you see the whole link.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 at 12:37 | Permalink | Using Opera Opera 9.80 on Windows Windows 7
  13. Teresa wrote:

I have wanting to go look up the change for this then I’d get busy and forget. Heard you talking about it on Not Another Mac Podcast and finally got it changed. Thanks!

Sunday, November 13, 2011 at 18:12 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 8.0 on Mac OS X Mac OS X 10
  14. NetUser wrote:

Thank you!

Oh how much I hate MS IE.

So I use FF.

And FF put this stupid thing in.

So I switched back to MS IE.

Now with your tip…

I am using FF again.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 20:40 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 on Windows Windows XP
  15. Martin wrote:

Nice one, thanks. Another one of those “improvements” that becomes an annoyance.

Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 00:43 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 9.0.1 on Windows Windows 7
  16. Ray Rae wrote:

Two thumbs up, Peter!
    I understand this irreversible tendency for software to be more “granny-friendly”, but I’m really pissed off when we (power users and geeks) lose flexibility and functionality we care about… unless there is an option seomewhere to bring it back. Fortunalely, it is the case here!!!

Saturday, May 5, 2012 at 04:44 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 10.0.2 on Windows Windows XP
  17. R Soul wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I found the ‘feature’ particularly annoying when posting URLs in forum replies. I tend to forget url tags because the forum can parse the links, but only if they start with http or www. When FF hid the http, URLs like “peter.upfold.org.uk” would not get parsed.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 at 23:51 | Permalink | Using Mozilla Firefox Mozilla Firefox 12.0 on Windows Windows XP

One Trackback/Pingback

1. […] release of Firefox 13 brings with it more imposed functionality changes to the only version of the browser that we can use, because it is is […]